A smart card is a secure key for many public and private sector online services that require a person's identity. The secure certificate of the ID card also acts as a network key for many insurance, education, municipal and state administration services. The service offering is growing continuously and one can now say that the ID card is one key to numerous services, like:
- The identity card issued to a Finnish citizen is issued as an identity document and as a travel document to all EU countries, from non-EU countries to San Marino and Switzerland.
- The Energy Certificate Information System for Buildings and the Energy Regulators Registered by Energy Regulatory Register maintained by the ARA shall compile energy certificates for buildings and electronically sign them in the Energy Certificate Register.
- The health care card is used in a number of healthcare activities, such as the electronic signature of prescriptions and identification of healthcare information systems for recording measures and results.
- The Certificate Services Unit of the Population Register Center (VRK) grants citizen, organizational, e-mail and server certificates, healthcare professional certificates and the signature certificates for travel documents.
- The public administration smart card is used, for example, in identifying ministries, agencies and institutions' own information systems, encrypting e-mails and documents, and making electronic signatures.